Fish is a good source of protein and, unlike fatty meat products, it’s not high in saturated fat. Fish is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids benefit the heart of healthy people, and those at high risk of or who have cardiovascular disease. Research has shown that omega-3 fatty acids decrease risk of arrhythmias (abnormal heartbeats), which can lead to sudden death. Omega-3 fatty acids also decrease triglyceride levels, slow the growth rate of atherosclerotic plaque, and lower blood pressure.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 8-ounce tilapia fillets
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 3 stalks scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, heat oil and sage and cook fish 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
- Add shiitake mushrooms.
- Cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place mushrooms over fillets and sprinkle with lemon peel.
- Garnish with scallions. Serve and enjoy!